A longtime hairstylist faces two additional charges Thursday in connection with sex abuse allegations against him that came to light earlier this year at a family-owned salon in Toronto, Ontario.
Police say 31-year-old Juan “Lee” Ibarra Garza was arrested on the additional charges of sexual assault of a girl under the age of 13 and sexual interference of a child, both in connection with incidents that allegedly occurred at Nix Salon in downtown Toronto in the summer of 2016.
The situation came to light earlier this year when a woman who worked in the salon came forward to the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health claiming to have been victimized at the hands of Ibarra.
It is alleged the woman was raped by Ibarra on multiple occasions, leading police to seek an arrest warrant for the suspect.
According to police, Ibarra was released on bail shortly after he was arrested at a local jail in March, when another girl also came forward with allegations of being sexually assaulted.
Ibarra posted a $100,000 bond during his release at the time, however, court documents state that he failed to comply with the bail conditions that included that he have no contact with any minors, surrender his passport and stay away from his former salon.
While details surrounding the alleged crime remain under investigation, police said Ibarra had been cooperating with the investigation.
Ibarra’s previous court documents detail the alleged sexual assaults against the two girls as being between “three and five” incidents and was said to have sexually victimized another girl who reported those incidents to police just a few months after the two alleged incidents took place.
No further details were available on Friday about any of the alleged assaults.
After initial charges against Ibarra were first filed, the Internet Crime Complaint Centre set up a Missing Child Alert for the young girls, who are now between the ages of nine and 11.
Ibarra, who police say was known to both girls, was later charged with two counts of sexual assault and two counts of sexual interference.
He was also named in a series of obstruction-of-justice charges related to failing to appear in court for a related breach of his bail conditions, the final charge stemming from an arrest made in April when he had allegedly violated the terms of his release.
Toronto police were still seeking a second man who allegedly threatened to release the names of those involved in the case if they did not work on a self-storage unit in which “evidence” was being held. That threat was allegedly made to the woman who worked at the salon.
On May 2, Ibarra was apprehended by police and was found to be in possession of several weapons, including a bow and arrow. At the time, police told media that several days prior, Ibarra obtained the weapon with the intent to “kill multiple individuals.”
It was not clear at the time how he allegedly obtained the bow and arrow.
Following his arrest, police cautioned all Toronto-area residents not to speak to Ibarra or any other man they believed to be involved in the sexual abuse of a child.
“We don’t know what is going on, and people need to help us find out,” Toronto police Det. Sgt. Ian Loretto told reporters on May 3.
Investigators continue to investigate all allegations.
According to court documents, Ibarra had already been charged in March of a separate assault involving a third woman, who was allegedly raped by Ibarra in a nearby apartment in the fall of 2016.
The woman who was allegedly assaulted earlier this year reported the alleged assault to police in March, police said.
The Canadian national police service told local media in Canada last month that those cases were not linked and there is no evidence they are connected to Ibarra’s second arrest.
Ibarra’s initial bail conditions for the previous charges included that he not return to the Nix Salon and must wear an electronic bracelet if he leaves his Toronto home.
In a statement sent to Fox News, Salonites assured customers that Ibarra had “cooperated fully with the authorities in their investigations and denied the allegations against him.”